As our bodies are made up of around 60% water and our blood 90% water, keeping our levels topped up is crucial. Water is lost during sweating, urinating and even breathing. Most people don’t drink enough water each day. We need to drink water to keep our cells and organs functioning properly.
Benefits of drinking water
Here are five major reasons our body needs water:
- It lubricates the joints- there is 80% water content in cartilage in the joints, it can help maintain shock absorbency and keep joint pain at bay.
- It makes saliva and mucous- water helps form these secretions to assist with digestion, flushing wastes, helps regulate stomach acid and keeps your mouth clean, helping to reduce decay.
- It delivers oxygen throughout the body via the bloodstream (blood is around 90% water).
- It keeps skin plump and smooth.
- It helps regulate body temperature, blood pressure, brain function.
Signs of dehydration
- urinary tract infection
- dry skin
- kidney dysfunction
- rapid heartbeat
- sunken eyes
- not urinating regularly
Drinking water, whether from the tap or a drink bottle, is the best source of fluid for the body. A lack of hydration, even in small amounts, can have an impact on both the mind and body. Ideally we are told we should be drinking around two litres a day for adults. Tupperware Eco Bottles are a great choice for keeping hydrated. They are BPA free and easy to keep clean and come in a variety of sizes so you and your family can stay hydrated on the go.
If you find it hard to drink plain water, try these ideas for water infusions:
Ideas for infusions
Try some of the following combinations or get creative and brainstorm your own. The longer you leave the water to infuse with the ingredients, the stronger the flavours will be.
Infusing your water makes it even easier and more fun to stay hydrated. Turn your daily 2-litre intake into a refreshing and healthy soft drink alternative that will be great for the whole family.
- It can beat the boredom of drinking plain water thereby making you drink more!
- Control cravings and snack less – hunger can often be confused for dehydration Reach for flavoured water instead of an unhealthy sugary snack.
- Boost your energy levels- dehydration can make you feel lethargic. It is super important to keep drinking water while you are exercising.
- 3 slices of apple
- 1 seedless apple core
- 2 cinnamon sticks (halved)
- ¼ frozen raspberries
- ½ orange
- ½ lemon
Cool Cucumber and Mint:
- thin slices of cucumber
- sprigs of mint
- slices of orange
TupperTip: Once you’ve finished your water, you can simply refill your water bottle. The infusion won’t be as strong but it will still be delicious and will be more sustainable. And that’s it. Remember to share your favourite infusions with us on social media!