SERVES: 3-4 with sides
PREPARATION TIME: 10 min
COOKING TIME: 1 ½ hours
STANDING TIME: 5 min
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: Easy
This fragrant, Moroccan lamb tagine is a crowd pleaser. Have everyone salivating over this traditional Moroccan lamb tagine recipe. Prepared like a slow cooker recipe in our reliable Casserole Dish.
- 3 larger or 4 small trimmed lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 teaspoons spice mix*
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ generous cup diced peeled pumpkin
*Moroccan style spice mix
Mix in a bowl and store in a large Modular Mate Spice container for Tagines.
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- You can add ½ teaspoon ground turmeric for colour
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan). Heat oil in Chef Series II 4.1 L Casserole Dish on cooktop. Brown the shanks on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic, cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Add spice mix, stir for 1 minute. Add water and ½ teaspoon salt, cover. Bring to the boil then cook in oven for 1 hour.
- Gently remove from oven, using oven glove. Remove cover, simmer 20-30 minutes, adding pumpkin during the last 10 minutes, cooking until the lamb is tender and falling off the bone and liquid has reduced and thickened. Season to taste. Serve with coriander or parsley, flat bread or couscous and vegetables to enjoy this lamb tagine recipe.