SERVES 12 Persons PREPARATION TIME 30 min.
COOKING TIME 25 min.
- 14g dried yeast
- 4 cups white bakers flour
- 3 tbs caster sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g butter
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas or chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 3-4 tbs water
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Place the yeast, 2 teaspoons flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 cup water in a Thatsa® Bowl Junior and stir well. Leave in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture has become frothy.
- Sift remaining flour and spices into a Thatsa Bowl Junior. Stir remaining sugar and butter, using your fingers rub the mixture together until it forms a breadcrumb like texture. Add sultanas or chocolate chips.
- Make a well in the centre, stir in yeast mixture and 1/2 cup water. Combine to make a dough, add extra 1 tablespoon at a time – only if required. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured Bake 2 Basics Pastry Sheet and knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed.
- Place dough in lightly oiled Thatsa Bowl Junior and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave in a warm spot for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Turn dough out onto lightly floured Bake 2 Basics Pastry Sheet and gently knead. Divide into 12 balls and place onto Baking Sheet with Rim so they are lightly touching. Cover with damp tea towel and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.
- To make the crosses: combine the flour, sugar and water in a bowl and make into a paste. Transfer mixture into Bake 2 Basics Piping Bag with the thin round nozzle inserted, pipe crosses onto each bun.
- Bake buns for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, baste with apricot jam and allow to cool.
- Serve buns warm with butter or margarine.
- To keep dish gluten-free, ensure you are using a gluten free bread flour.
- Use coconut sugar instead of caster sugar for a refined sugar-free option.
- Check the label on the jam and get a naturally sweetened jam instead of one sweetened with cane sugar.