SERVES 10 Persons PREPARATION TIME 20 min.
COOKING TIME 10 min.
- 2 egg whites
- 170g caster sugar
- 250g almond meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground star anise (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150oC. Place 2 Baking Sheets on cold oven trays and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in Speedy Chef until stiff peaks have formed. Gradually add sugar and continue whisking until combined. Set aside 50g of meringue mixture in Thatsa Bowl Junior.
- Transfer remaining mixture to a Thatsa Bowl Medium. Add remaining ingredients and fold to combine.
- Sprinkle extra almond meal onto the Pastry Sheet and place on the dough. Roll out dough using the Adjustable Rolling Pin filled with cold water and fitted with 6mm adjusters.
- Cut animals out using Animal Cookie Cutters and arrange onto the Baking Sheets. Using a basting brush, spread the meringue onto the animal shapes. Place in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For a simple gingerbread cookie, add to the mixture an extra 25g almond meal, ½ - 1 tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp cinnamon, 1 pinch ground nutmeg or ground cloves and 1 tbs (20ml) molasses. Make recipe as above and decorate with an icing pen.
- Use coconut sugar in replacement for caster sugar for a refined sugar-free option!