A beautiful spiced Christmas cake with lashings of ginger for the festive season!
SERVES 6 Persons
PREPARATION TIME 20 min
COOKING TIME 60 min
- 250g plain flour
- 350g brown or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbs (60ml) molasses
- 200g butter
- 200ml milk or light cream
FOR THE ICING:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups pre icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbs (20ml) lemon juice (more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 160c. Lightly grease Ultra Pro Oval 2.5L Base and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a Mixing Bowl. Mix KP Tools Whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer mixture into greased Ultra Pro Oval 2.5L Base. Place into the oven to bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cake bounces back when touched.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before turning out onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, beat egg whites in the Speedy Chef until beginning to foam. Gradually add the icing sugar to create a soft meringue before adding the lemon juice to create a more liquid icing (should still be thick enough to hold shape).
- Pour the icing over the cake and decorate with rosemary sprigs and any other decorations of choice
- Dust with icing sugar for a “snow” effect on the cake after decorating.
- Cake can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free flour.
- Substitute dairy products with a vegan alternative (such as soy or almond milk and Nuttelex) for a dairy-free option.