SERVES 4 Persons
PREPARATION TIME 10 min
COOKING TIME 20 min
- 400 g extra firm tofu (±14 oz)
- 120 ml milk of choice (±½ cup)
- 50 g flour (±1/3 cup)
- 15 ml cornstarch (±1 tbsp)
- 5 ml paprika powder (±1 tsp)
- 2 ml salt (±½ tsp)
- 80 g panko or breadcrumbs (±1 cup)
- 60 ml oil (±¼ cup)
For the Sauce
- 60 ml sweet chili sauce (±¼ cup)
- 15 ml ketchup (±1 tbsp)
- 30 ml tamarin or soy sauce (±2 tbsp)
- 7 ml Worcestershire sauce (±½ tbsp)
- Nappa Cabbage (sliced)
- Scallions (sliced)
- Sesame seeds, black or white
- Lime wedges
- Place tofu on its side, slice in four even pieces and wrap each slice in a towel. Press for approx. 30 min. to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. This is very important to obtain a crispy result.
- While tofu is pressing, make coating mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, flour, cornstarch, paprika powder and salt. In a separate bowl add panko breadcrumbs.
- Remove tofu from towels and one at a time, dip into wet mixture and transfer into panko to coat both sides. Set aside until all four slices are breaded.
- Attach half frying rack to the Tupperware Mastro Cookware 32cm/12.6in Wok, add oil and heat on medium-high heat. Fry two tofu steaks at a time, approx. 4-5 min. on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to half frying rack to drain, repeat with remaining two slices.
- To make sauce, whisk together sweet chili sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and Worcestershire in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Once the crispy tofu steaks cool, cut into strips and serve over rice and Nappa Cabbage with sauce and desired toppings.